Re: Let's cause a scene!

> I suspect many of you are in the same boat. Do you play alone because
> you like it that way, or because no one else will play with you?

I am interested in the solo thing for several reasons:

1.  The logistics of having a band are a major pain in the ass.  This
includes, finding and keeping players, organizing rehearsals, making sure
everyone's happy with the material, has enough solo time, etc.

2.  Players who have the technical/musical ability to play what I would
write are most likely freelancing professionals, and as such are always in
search of the next big gig.  I have been the guy in the band who secretly
planned to leave all along at the first opportunity, and I don't ever want
to be left high and dry.

3.  The challenge of really being able to get over all by yourself.  Good
bandleaders know to surround themselves with great players, because it
means
they have to carry less weight themselves.  The one man band thing really
requires massive amounts of PRESENCE on every level.

4.  I am an only child, and as such am prone to the desire to have things
my
own way and be the center of attention.  :)

Sometimes I feel supremely anti-social for going in the direction I'm
going,
but I am a nomad by nature, and unfortunately it's very hard to transplant
an entire band.  I've just spent the last two years living in Colorado, and
am now planning a move to NYC next fall.  I don't know how long I'll stay,
but it probably won't be forever.

I have been in original bands, and miss the experiences of rehearsals and
composing with others.  I would like to go back to it, but as we all know
it's difficult to find the right people.

It would be nice to have other solo weird artists around to bounce ideas
off
of.  I know I got a lot out of just going down and watching Jimmy George
stomp around on his Boomerang for a few minutes.  Next I would like to put
in a visit to Cara Quinn, if she'll have me.

-J