Re: what are you (not) looping

Tim wrote

> Sitar.

Likewise.  Despite 20 years of training in sitar and surbahar, these are
the
instruments I loop the least!  Perhaps it's the accumulated baggage of
thinking of these instruments very strictly in terms of Indian classical
music, or the fact that after just a layer or two the loops tend to get
very
muddy and indistinct.

So I'm more likely to loop other stringed instruments (in which I don't
have
formal training) like Uzbek dutar and tanbur, Iranian tar and sehtar,
Afghan
rabab, Uyghur satar and rewap, Greek tzouras and baghlama, Turkish saz and
yayli tanbur - combining these (plucked and e-bowed) with hand percussion.

Since these are more my "fun" instruments [as opposed to the "work"
involved
with sitar/surbahar -- not that these aren't fun also ;-) ] I think I often
feel freer to experiment with them than I would with the sitar.  But every
now and again I do get the urge to add sitar or surbahar to a loop, but
usually in small doses, only after the other parts have been established.