Re: Looping Piano AND early recorded "rock" looping -- WAS Re: what are you (not) looping

At 10:25 AM 6/13/2003 -0400, David wrote:

>That reminds me, I've seen Rodger Miller (x-Mission of Burma, Binary
>System - another drums and piano duo, and now... Mission of Burma) in
>Boston
>do it on a prepared piano using a "fripp-in-a-box" from EH :-)
>
>More on Roger Miller and his live looping 1983-1989 here....
>http://rogermiller.home.mindspring.com/maximumexpansion.html

Nice catch!  I remember that after leaving the 'Birdsongs of the
Mesozoic',
Miller went solo with his 'Maximum Electric Piano' project for a few years
starting ~'83.  I saw him here in Chicago around '86.  He used the EH
sixteen-second delay to lay down multiple parts -- including percussion
from some of the 'prepared' strings in his piano -- which would then build
from grooves to melodies to songs.  It's not entirely unlike what I've
heard in Andre's recordings (albeit on a much less sophisticated
level).  He's got a good stage presence for a solo performer, and an
excellent sense of humor (cracking jokes at some of his missteps with the
effects).  Also, I think it's one of the few times I've heard a piano do
feedback.  ;)

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil