Re: (other used synth/keyboard?) (was Re: Oxygen8 keyboard aftertouch?)

At 11:13 AM 6/15/2003 -0700, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>On Saturday, June 14, 2003, at 09:15 AM, Richard Zvonar wrote:
>
>>For a compact controller I'd go for the Novation ReMOTE 25. It has
>>aftertouch and "semi-weighted" keys.
>
>That looks like a really sweet MIDI controller, but it's $399 price got
>me to thinking.

$399...WTF?!?  Hrm, I am seeing what you're talking about (and that's
discounted from the $599 list price).  What's not making sense is that the
British tech-rags are publishing its list price as 269 GB Pounds in the
reviews (cf. Computer Music, July 2003, for instance).  That translates to
a $450 US list -- almost $150 less than the 'list' at the online shops.  I
wonder if the reviews have a misprint, or if the distributors/shops here
in
the States are being a bunch of greedheads.

>...but I'm wondering if there's a good old used
>keyboard out there that's 49 keys with a good feel and aftertouch that
>would give me a few extra sounds as well as being a MIDI controller.

Well, I can't say it's exactly in the "compact, portable" category, but
the
keyboard on the Kawai K5000 is damn close to the nicest keyboard I've
played that was actually attached to a sound-producing instrument (in
other
words, not merely a dedicated controller).  Feels great, and features
aftertouch as well.  Not to mention that its Advanced Additive engine
produces some of the coolest textures of any synth out there.

It may come in at a bit more than you're looking to spend (usual prices
are
currently ~$600-800).  However, there was a posting to the K5k list a few
days ago from a member selling a nice clean K5000s for $450.  Let me know
if you're interested and I'll point you in the right direction.

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil