Re: where to compress?

Evan Meyers wrote:
> hi all, just looking for some opinions on where is the
> best place in my chain to compress.  i am using a bass
> through a mini Q-tron > moogerfooger MF101 > TS9 (tube
> screamer) > volume pedal > 2 repeaters.
>
> i was thinking that compression would be best after
> the MF101 since the 101 and Q-tron are dynamic
> sensitive effects.  i've been playing around with the
> chain, but was just looking for some ideas or
> suggestions.

Here is  very nice comparison of various good pedal compressors:

http://musictoyz.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=6476029571&f=4066066091&m=6056050402&p=1

A very general effect placement rule is: sound source (guitar/bass/etc.)
-> filter effects (wah-wahs, envelope followers, etc.) -> compressors ->
overdrives/distortion/fuzz --> modulation (chorus/flange) --> volume
pedal --> delays/loopers --> reverb --> amplification

If you are using parallel effects loops, like a mixer, it's also common
to put the delays/loopers in the fx loop and then everything out to the
amp(s). I find that ring modulators and tremelos can go just about
anywhere in the effects chain.

Now, I actually use a slightly different setup for my boxes, which is:

Guitar -> Whammy -> Q-Tron -> MoogerFooger Ring Modulator -> Killer Wail
wah -> Dyna-Comp -> Varidrive -> V-Twin -> George Dennis Volume/Tremelo
-> DL4 #1 -> MM4 -> DL4 #2 ->

-> Fender Dual Showman Reverb amp

or

-> Laney LC 15R amp -> THD Hot Plate -> Echo Pro -> ADA MicroCab ->
Alesis QuadraVerb -> Mixer