Re: Re: RE: Digital Out on MD

> I suspect they convert it from ATRAC to analog, then redigitize it, so
>  there wouldn't be much difference between that and running an analog
>  out and into the soundcard on your computer.

why do you think that?

surely the ATRAC has to be converted to an
uncompressed format before going to the D/A

I use a small sony portable for field recording, and a
the cheapest available tabletop MD with a digital SPDIF out
to transfer to pc.
(that works out cheaper than a portable with digi-out
as far as I know)

andy butler