From: Nic Roozeboom [mailto:Nic_Roozeboom@msn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 9:34 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: The doors of perception (was Re: Repeater latency)

Since the focus has migrated to perception, let me muddy this up a bit...
(a
little late in the discussion, pun hardly avoided)

In my understanding, one only refers to latency when it involves a time
interval during which there is uncertainty.

In case of the Repeater's audio path, I'm quite sure it's simply delay, not
latency. A fixed time (however small) during which an audio event at the
input propagates to the output.

As acknowledged by the translation, made in an earlier post, into distance
(by way of sound wavelength).

Delay can be compensated for (e.g. start earlier, mentally perceive as
something a bit farther away) - latency cannot. For example, the Repeater's
latency for the Start button may result in delayed action, between zero and
something, depending on how often its operating system polls the state of
its buttons. True?

But carry on, anyway

Nic