Re: Re: frippery - the improper noun

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Scott M2 wrote:

> > > apparently, frippery is making its way into the lexicon.
> >
> > Heh. Taking you way too seriously for a moment,
> >
> > http://www.m-w.com/
> > lists the etymology of "frippery" as:
> > "Etymology: Middle French friperie, alteration of Old French freperie,
> > from frepe old garment
> > Date: 1568"
> >
> > Now, I don't wish to deny Robert Fripp's early influence on looping,
>but I
> > somehow doubt he was playing in the court of King Charles IX of France
>in
> > 1568 :).
>
> So -was he the one known as "the crimson king",
> who invented the Smellotron - where the sharpened keys
> of a harpsichord pricked the skins of various fruits?

Yes, although due to decay of the fruits the Smellotron was even harder
to keep in tune than the analog synths of the mid-twentieth century.

The "crimson king" also worked with the noted architect B.S.Johnson [1] to
pioneer the earliest reverb unit, being a performance hall with the rear
wall mounted on rollers and moved by pulleys. The resultant scene when
this was beta-tested and the walls were rapidly moved forward to shorten
the reverb time was (much later) compared to the "trash compactor" scene
in _Star Wars_, and the project was abruptly dropped.

[1] Acknowledgements to Terry Pratchett for the BSJ reference.

best,
Steve
Subscape Annex
http://www.subscapeannex.com/