Re: Staying in sync with a drum machine when using half speed and reverse

> So is there no way to keep it in alignment in the
> first place, or will the echoplex just not do that?

Uh...  What?  Double negatives...  <brain explodes>

> I really don't want to have to re-align it every time
> it goes out. I want it to stay aligned when using the
> half speed or reverse. Is that possible? If so how?

I don't know.  Try setting it to Sync=In, 8th/Cycle=8, Quantize=CYC,
starting your drum machine, getting a one or two bar loop going, and then
hitting reverse (not SUSReverse).  It should quantize the Reverse press to
the next bar line (please be in 4/4).  Stop playing and see if it says in
sync.  If it goes out of sync, try a ReAlign.  Might work, might not...
Tell us what happens.

But, I think the answer to what you want to do is that it is not possible
with one Echoplex.  You want to play the Reverse game, DoubleSpeed,
HalfSpeed, and then come out of it to the point in your loop which is in
sync to your drum machine.  Basically to mute the loop, do some audio
acrobatics, then have the loop unmute to exactly where it would have been
had you not fucked it all up with Reverse/HS/DS.

>>Think of the EDP more like a tape loop.  When you put it in Reverse it
plays the memory backwards, so wherever you tell it to move forward from
again is where it moves forward from -- unless you do a ReAlign, which will
make it jump forward to the start of the loop when it hears the next bar
come in from the MIDI clock<<

Make sense?  ReAligning after every de-alignment is as close as you're
going
to get, I think.

I guess if you had two EDPs you could record the loop into both, and then
set up some impossibly complex set of MIDI commands triggered by some MIDI
foot pedals, to get one machine to mute while you play with
Reverse/HalfSpeed/DoubleSpeed on the other, and then get it to unmute the
first machine ... oh god, it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

As if life wasn't already complicated enough.  I'm sure Kim will drop in
here in a minute and tell me I'm all wrong about this.  Please, delete my
erroneous mails from the archives.  Thanks.  ;)

-Jesse