RE: Ableton Live vs. hardware looper (Overdub)

I decided to go with Live instead of a hardware looper specifically for it's ability to record several loops of different lenghts (I can run 8-9 with my hardware), and manipulate them all independently... for my music, this is much more useful than recording on top of the same sound.
As I see it, the main difference between Live and hardware devices is that with Live you have a preset tempo.  This brings up the problem of how to hear the tempo when you record your first loop... which can solved in different ways... I'm usually starting out with a couple drum loops, so it's not a problem for me.
Joe B.

Matthias Grob <matthias@grob.org> wrote:
> > > to record input at a basic level, but I can't figure out how to get
>> > a loop to overdub.
>>
> > You can't do that in Live. Only by running a delay plug-in on a track,
>> but that's rather limiting.
>>

>Wouldn't recording onto a different channel/track be considered
>overdubbing? If so, and I think the definition of overdubbing is that,
>with independent control of levels, pan, etc---
>
>Neil

I would not recommend to use it like that.
Sure, in the studio, it means to add tracks, but to keep comunication
clear, I suggest that we keep the definition of the Overdub function
in the looping realm for "layering into the same sound file".
The main advantage of Overdub is that there is no limit for the
number of layers, so it can never be imitated with separate tracks
and I think it will continue to be a interesting function even when
we have several tracks.

--

---> http://Matthias.Grob.org