From: "David" <vze2ncsr@verizon.net>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Saturday, 06 December, 2003 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: Looping sound and image

Some links on loops and art installations...

http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200105/msg00137.html
http://www.creativesynth.com/opinion/103_Installations/Installations.html

The San Francisco Exploratorium installation had a soundtrack that
consisted of loops of varying lengths, on auto-repeat cassette
decks playing non synchronously. So he had four cassette decks playing
different length loops in 8 different channels (as far as I
could tell they were not "stereo" mixes on the tapes but actually two
different non-synchronous tracks), and then he localized the
channels through speakers scattered through the installations so standing
at any one spot you would hear a blend of loops through
different speakers. These "loops" were actually fairly long, and the
"soundtrack" itself was essentially one huge loop - Eno
guestimated that it would take some 127 weeks for the loop to precisely
repeat itself. But from a listener perspective repetetive
elements were pretty recognizable. It sounds like Eno may have used the
same source material at various locations, but each random
configuration of the starting of the cassettes would create a fairly
unique juxtaposition of the source loops.