Alesis Akira (rack-mount Ineko)...

Since there's been a previous thread on the Alesis Ineko and its rather
remarkable loop-mangleage (izzat a word?) capabilities, I thought I'd send
in a heads-up that the Alesis Akira is currently on closeout for $199 at a
variety of places.  If anybody wants to beat their local dealer down on a
price match, the cheapest I've seen it is $179 at 8th Street Music (
http://www.8thstreet.com/prod.asp?pid=8906 ) and
musicalistruments4less.com
( http://www.musicalinstruments4less.com/49807944/m4_954532879.html ).  Be
cautious of that last link, however, as they're working in conjunction
with
Music123.com, and I can verify that Music123 is out of stock.

The Alesis Akira is basically a 1U rack-mount version of the Ineko.  The
other main differences are that it features balanced(!) stereo 1/4" TRS
jacks with I/O adjustable from -10dB to +4 dBu, better frequency response
specs, an extra 50 memory locations that are user-programmable, an
internal
switched power supply, and a bypass jack.  I'm not certain what the MIDI
implementation was like on the Ineko, but the Akira has support for
program
change and continuous controller assignment for the X, Y, & Z knobs
(there's not a heckuva lot more to edit on the Ineko/Akira).

I just ordered one as a substitute for the Kaos Pad I've been using in my
Repeater's effects loop.  Not that I have any difficulty with my KP1 other
than the fact that I've got too many widgets/pedals hanging out of my rack
already, and I needed something rack-mountable (one less thing to plug
in/set up onstage).  The Akira has about umpteen different whacked-out
effects, perfect for twisting loops inside out (a *frequency shifter*?!? i
always thought i'd have to buy a modular synth to get one of those).

Anyway, for anyone who was intrigued by the earlier talk of the Ineko but
who also cringed at the thought of yet another tabletop box, here's your
chance....

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil