RE: FAVORITE LOOPING TECHNIQUE

My favorite loops are the ones which still have noticeable events in them,
but you eventually lose track of where they begin and end. Since the
loopers
I use the most have a 4 second time limit, the "seam" (aka start point)
comes up more often. To combat this, I often turn them out of phase while
sampling the same thing. That way, it takes several revolutions of a
single
loop before the listener could discern a repeat of the
2-loops-perceived-as-one-loop.

On my new dealie of looping a drum machine with a dl-4, I tend to create a
take of semi-rhythmic normal drum machine fare, then apply a layer of
semi-random extraneous noises, then repeat, changing the sound identities
of
the drum machine the whole time.

Btw, This saturday, I'll be doing a set of looped turntable and drum
machine
(not at the same time, since that would make me a "dj"). The event is an
all
electronics music night as part of the week-long "Neighborhood Public
Radio"
festival-like-thing at 21 Grand (449B 23rd St) in Oakland, California.

The whole thing runs from 4pm-11:30pm. I'm tentatively slated to be on at
10:00. Other acts include Tim Perkis + Wobbly, Big City Orchestra, RAJAR
(manipulated live radio), CMAU (home-built instruments & laptops), &
Recursive Heretics (sax & processing duo). More info at
http://www.21grand.org/20040117.html