NAMM loosers delight luncheon spoiler checks in

Hi Gang,

    I was in the throes, all weekend, of a particularly gnarly flu and was
forced to not
only cancel my whole NAMM weekend (for which I was bitterly dissapointed)
but
also my gig with Koorosh in Glendale on friday night.

  I'm sorry that the luncheon wasn't successful but at least Ted Killian
(he
of the recurring
hernia) and myself had the kinds of doctors' excuses that would have gotten
a little kid out of school.

    Please forgive.  If there had been any way that I could have made it I
would have
and, trust me,  you would not have wanted to catch the bug that laid me up
all weekend
long................what a nasty little 'drain all night' wonder it was.  I
would have shaken hands with
everyone right at the most communicable of stages.

   I spent the weekend in bed, however,coughing, sneezing and  catching up
with several new looper CDs that
have been sent to me in the past few months.     I particularly enjoyed the
brilliant
Michael Peters completion of his gargatuan My2K project (wherein he made a
10 second sample of music everyday for the year 2000).   Although not a
'listening' CD, per se,  It was really fun to go to his website and read
about his creative
process throughout the whole project.     I have to say that this project
was the single
starting point of inspiration when I immersed myself in the world of
electronic computer
music back in 2000 and to hear it completed was spiritually satisfying for
me.

I also really enjoyed ghost7, dan soltzberg's bass looping project.   He
has
some beautiful and
abstract loops that he created,  frequently transcending the normal role of
the bass guitar.  It is a very
minimalist and abstract affair (after my own aesthetic heart) and I
particularly liked his use of programmed
drum machine (something I'm normally very critical of being a
drummer/programmer).

The other salient feature of this recording is that he recorded and looped
this project live with no overdubs,
no mean feat.     I really enjoyed it and recommend it for purchase.

Please forgive my no show at the luncheon.  I was heartbroken not to see
everybody again.

yours,  Rick Walker