Torn show

David Torn (ensemble show)      with Andre LaFosse (opening)

WHERE: NYC - MAKOR performance space -35 W 67th.

WHEN: WED JAN 28 - 2004

Well well -  the snow ­ it sucked royally to park!!.. And that¹s a tough
area to park anyway.. After the show I had to be PUSHED outta the spot I
was
in... Yikes. The snow/NYC parking debacle  did make me miss my good
buddy/opening act Andre LaFosse... Œwest coast andre¹ to my Œeast coast
andre¹... As we¹re known here on ye olde loopers e-list. Tho -we may
confuse
the issue and switch coasts next year (?)

WHO: DAVID TORN/guitar textures, madness and beauty. FIMA EPHRON/ac and el
bass (screaming headless torsos etc), and one of my fave sax players TIM
BERNE, plus BEN PEROWSKY on skins, a couple triggers and real bells. Super
inspiring.

WHAT: Torn played a new guitar (what was that...?). Axe had a myriad of
cool
swqitches yeilding many diff sounds --there was also a little condenser(?)
mic on the upper horn of the gtr -- for sampling whatever..EDP, Repeater,
Korg Electribe..and many other custom and strange sound makers/tweakers...
all thru Rivera amps and a SECRET new tube head that he is co-designing
with
an amp god...

HOW: Great show.. What can I say...?? Seemed like  a lot of free-form
improv
stuff - the best! I didn¹t really recognize any themes per se...

DT would somehow capture Tim Berne's sax playing.. And loop it..layer it,
send it back to Tim as a bass line...rhythmic bed..or counterpoint
melodies.
This was f-in great to hear and see - it was truly 'live production and
editing'. If you don't know Berne's work check it out NOW.... What a
quietly
revolutionary player...Very wide dynamic range. The quartet moved from
jazzy
feel to over-the top skronk with nary a seam. Fima is such a great
listener.
He would come in with a funky pattern right when it was really needed.
Never
fell into the bass trap of 'groove-groove-groove-and-never-stop playing'

BEST PART WAS - everyone onstage LISTENED to the other musicians.... Wow!

Musically - Super inspiring. Torn's chunk of the universe makes me really
feel at home.. Polyrhythms... African/asia/mid east/beefheartian and other
melodies float in and out.. Mutant-Jazz chords...the soul of HENDRIX...
Loops, textures, building-melting filtered distorto sounds..and gentle
winds
of ambience....

SITINGS: A quick pre-show hello with another buddy - violinist Todd
Reynolds... You can hear him with ETHEL, Betty Buckley, Steve Reich and
sooo
many other artists!! Todd and Andre have some kinda looping workshop on
Saturday

Got to meet Torn sound engineer/Levin Band engineer/recordist/cool dude
Robert Frazza..also met LOU from the loopers-delight group....RICHARD
also... And I'm ashamed to say I forgot a couple other names!! But - the
group was well represented!!

Got to talk a bit of shop and music with DT - we also talked a bit about
the
excellent soundtracks for TRAFFIC and THREE KINGS - at that point Mr Torn
also recommended his recent soundtrack for THE ORDER... [I wanted to see
that anyway... It¹s (loosely) about the dark secret crap and secret
societies the catholic church gets into behind locked doors....NO - this
isn't a statement on the ENTIRE church..save yer email explanation...]

SITES:
TORN http://splattercell.com/
EPHRON http://www.fimamusic.com/fima/bio.html
BERNE http://www.screwgunrecords.com/