Re: Hardware Loopers--Tools or Collector's items?

I realize now that my post came off a bit as a troll, and I wish I had
been more articulate. Eric and Andre make some excellent points, but I've
been thinking about this a lot, and I still think hardware loopers may be
on the way out.

I'd assume that the cost of development of a hardware looper is many times
over the cost of developing software, and I'd really be surprised to see
any new developments in hardware loopers.

On the other hand, software loopers seem to be growing both in number and
capability.  If people haven't checked out Elottronix XL (sorry for the
mis-spelling in my previous post), they really should. It's developer
describes it as a Frippertronics emulation:
http://www.uv.es/~ruizcan/p_vst.htm
Two simultaneous 80 second maximum "sound on sound" delays with stereo pan
and filters.  All parameters controllable through midi.  Both the delays
and pan sync easily to the host. It's not a EDP clone (I wish it was), but
it has some advantages in how well it integrates as a VST plugin in a DAW
or host program.  It's stable and it's free.  On my Celeron laptop and can
run several instances of it simultaneously, and I'm getting 6ms latentcy
with my IndigoIO sound card.

There are other free looping programs as well: Ambiloop, Loopitch and the
UNIX based edp emulation Andre mentioned.  If we froze the current feature
set of the software loopers, then hardware loopers are clearly superior.
I'm anticipating, though, that feature set will grow.  Hardware loopers
can also wear out, break and get stolen; serious considerations as they
become increasingly expensive to replace.

---
Art Simon
http://art.simon.tripod.com
http://artsimon.iuma.com