Re: Hardware Loopers--Tools or Collector's items?

On 04-03-13 10.38,  "L. Angulo" <labalou2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Per,
> I have been considering the RME mulitface i currently
> have the Aardvark 2496 which is great with a break box
> which has xlrs and regular 1/4 inputs (all in front so
> you dont have to sneak every time in the back) plus a
> virtual mixer.The only thing that they havent been
> able to get right is the drivers which is a drag!
> Ther RMe looks pretty good but xlrs inputs would be
> nice.Did you say it have a virtual mixer and would it
> work without one?

The software "RME Totalmix" is actually the control panel for the RME
brake-out box but it's laid out like a mixer. You can adjust audio streams
at three levels: input, output and the audio coming from other audio
applications on the computer. I use it on OSX and WinXP and it's equally
efficient on both systems.

I doubt the break-out box would work without the TotalMix software. Or, if
you did ask about if the software mixer would work without the break-out
box
(?) I don't think so either.

> talking about hardware ive been looking at the Akai
> MPC1000,nice,nice but quite expensive which brings
> laptop considerations...

Yeah, those are nice! But if you are looking for a laptop that is less
expensive (including audio interface) than a MPC1000 you should know that
it
might not give the same performance and workflow as you can reach by using
the Akai. Be careful to try it out before buying, or buying a system
already
in good use by someone else. A friend of mine has been producing - and
performing - "techno house" for many years with only MPC's. I heard him
play
at a party and it was very good, in fact much better than the DJ's when
talking about adjusting to the vibe and extending his mixes of his own
original material. This was the first time I have seen a MPC used live and
was very impressed :-)

There are a lot of useful laptop advices at
http://www.ableton.com/forum/index.php

Best wishes

Per Boysen
--