DFX-94 .... quirks, etc

Uh... I have no idea what the sampling rate is, but it varies depending on
how long of a delay you have it set to. The fidelity's a lot better with
shorter loops.

Some other quirks:

Don't trust it with batteries. It only lasts a few hours, and has a
tendency
to go out when you're using it. Shell out the $15 for an adaptor at Radio
Shack. You'll be glad you did.

It makes a quiet high-pitched whining sound. The pitch changes as you
change
the pitch wheel. To make this virtually inaudible, simply feed louder
signals into it so you can get a better signal-to-whine ratio.

How sampling mode works: Turn the right-hand (function) wheel to "Trig".
When you hit the button, it'll record until both lights are on again. Once
you switch it to sample mode, you trigger the sample by hitting the
switch.
It'll play the entire sample, so if you want just a fragment, you'll have
quickly turn down the volume. If you turn the function wheel back to
infinite repeat, it'll start repeating your sample, but whether the loop
is
open (recording) or closed (infinite repeat) depends on how many times you
hit the switch while it was in sampler mode. To make sure I don't "put a
hole" in my loop, I always make sure to turn the "repeat" knob (2nd from
left) to maximum before switching back to infinite repeat mode. If I see
it's recording, I quickly tap the switch again so it's in infinite repeat
again without losing anything.

You can also take a loop from infinite repeat mode and play it as a
triggered sample. Just create a loop in infinite repeat mode, then move
the
function switch to "sample" mode. It'll be the sample. If you already have
loop, then try to sample something in trigger mode (aka "record sample"
mode), the loop will be an already existing layer. If you want to
completely
overwrite it, turn the second knob (repeat) all the way to the left before
recording. You'll hear the original loop as you're recording, but it won't
be stored on the sample.

Think of the Repeat knob as the "Layers" or "tracks" knob. By adjusting
the
knob while adding new stuff into an existing loop, you can either have
what
you're feeding into it be a new layer on top of the loop, or completely
replace that portion of the loop. Silence counts too, so you can poke a
bunch of holes in an infinite loop by tapping the switch with the repeat
knob all the way to the left.

I sure wish my new DL-4 had a "Layers" knob for looping mode. It really
sucks having no option between "loop gradually fades out after about 30
minutes" and "loop stops immediately".

The DFX-94's have been central to most things I do for the last 10 years.
Up
until recently, I've used them for 9 out of every 10 shows. (The 10th
would
either be acoustic, or all cassette recorders.)

Last year, I used them to make about 90% of a remix for the San Diego
experimental rap group Soul Junk. It's called "Sasketchewan" and is at
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/mattdavignonmusic.htm

Matt

Gary Lehmann done wrote:

It hasn't made it into the setup yet!!!!
I told you it was in its infancy LOL
Any suggestions?
I think probably sampling mode--boy is it a great pedal--thanks Matt
Davignon . . .what do you think the sampling rate on it is?
BTW, I do NOT have a manual for this pup, so if anyone else does, feel free
to scan it and send it my way!
Gary

Tax headache? MSN Money provides relief with tax tips, tools, IRS forms
and
more! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/workshop/welcome.asp