Re: "Live Looping"

I have been thinking on how to contribute to this discussion for a while
now
and in the end i've come to the conclusion that for me Livelooping is not a
music-style per se, but a well defined technique that is applied to the
various musicstyles that are around.

That is, what bindes this community together in my point of view is the
technique that we all use in one form or the other and not the style of
music we create.

This i think makes Livelooping as a concept and technique very "romantic"
for both audiences and beginner-, pro-musicians. Because it combines, in my
eyes and ears, any style of music in the Live temporal dimension and opens
up the possibilites to improvise on the spot, alone or in group, instead of
beeing bound by the parameters of pre-sequenced / pre-recorded music. Of
course one can argue the much of the digital music made today can't be
live-looped but i strongly withhold that it can, in one way or the other,
just maybe not in the easiest way. But hey, if you want to make it easy on
your self then just put a cd-player on stage and press play.

Then on top of that, different hardware just gives the musician different
degrees of freedom and whether he/she uses a overdubbing-delay with buffer
callback, undo, cut, reverse-capabilities or a midi sequencer in record &
overdub mode, does not really matter, the common nominator is still that in
all its simplicity, it loops and can be overdubbed in one way or the other.

In short:
Livelooping is a technique that can be applied to any kind of music to give
the musician the possibilities to perform multi-layered music in the
simplest way possible while still retaining the freedom and spirit of
improvisation.

Does this make any sense? Anyway, that's how i see it and that's how i
explain it to others. ;)

/Tias (Btw, the VST-looping-plugin is a bit delayed but it's getting closer
to beta-mode almost every day.)