re: "Live Looping"

The thing about "live looping" is that most people who've heard the term
before, tend to think of 4/4 ebow frippertronics. It's not always correct,
but it's human nature to stereotype. I applaud folks like Rick who are
trying to expand what people think of as "live looping".

Personally, I often describe my equipment interaction as "real-time
sampling" which includes the looping, fx, and things like the casio SK1.
It
seems like the more I do music, the less labeling it seems to help. Sure,
labels are great in pointing people in the right direction. There are too
many labels now (thanks to Techno trying to make itself sound more
interesting), and lately I find it really difficult to get someone
interested in what I do, with a verbal description.

I feel really lucky to be in the music community I'm in (sf bay area),
which
includes electronic & acoustic musicians, electro-acoustic musicians,
free-jazzers, jazz-dislikers, noise people, "quiet" freaks, laptoppers,
academics & loopers. We have Mills College nearby, which I originally
discounted as "academic", but works as a magnet for pulling in lots of
amazing, open minded people. I just met a guy a few weeks ago who does
prepared & "real-time sampled" pedal steel guitar. Last night I played
with
a guy who uses only 2 cd-dj units, and makes it musical!

I guess my point is... do what you do... worry about naming it later.

Sorry, I'm sleepy, and I need to go home.