Re: Pitch Shifter again, Digitech, Bill Frisell ?

At 8:21 PM +0200 5/22/04, shocktone@gmx.de wrote:

>I tried the Waves pitch shifter (plugin) today with some guitar sounds.I
>have to admit it really sounds terrible.

I've tried it with various sounds, with mixed results. A piano loop
(at a higher register with a modest amount of ring) was really bad,
with a lot of erratic jumping around. Spoken male voice worked quite
well.

This is in keeping with my past experience using various pitch
shifters. Even with the expensive ones you'll invariably get better
results with simple monophonic sources. The more complex the source
the more difficulty the shifter has in tracking the fundamental pitch
and the more artifacts are generated. It's also important to fiddle
with tracking parameters for best results. Many pitch shift
algorithms allow you to specify the upper and lower pitch limits of
the input signal, as well as the processing delay. In most cases if
you can work with a higher latency you can get more accurate results.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com