re: asychronous loops?

At 7:37 AM +0100 5/24/04, Steve Lawson wrote:

>Fair point, I had forgotten about the Eventide stuff. I'd still go with my
>EDP/MPX-G2 combo over an Orville, but my experience with the Orville
>(limited to playing with Luca and asking him lots of really arcane
>questions
>about what it will and won't do) has been pretty good - he certainly gets
>some amazing noises out of it.

The EDP offers a lot of possibilities that none of the Eventides come
close to, just as the Eventides offer DSP features the EDP doesn't
even attempt to address. It makes no sense to think of them as
competing systems. If you want to do sophisticated cumulative-layer
looping, "chunk manipulation," quantized phrase looping, or any of
its other sophisticated tricks the EDP is the only sensible choice,
but if you want a really high powered multi-effects box or a complete
system for soundscape generation an Orville or H8000 makes good
sense. If I were really a serious looper I'd certainly have two or
three EDPs, but for the type of sonic mayhem I generally indulge in
my stack o' 'tides works pretty well.

Having said that, I put a deposit on one of the new-generation
Electro-Harmonix delays. I never had one of the originals, so what
the fuck?

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com