From: ArsOcarina@aol.com [mailto:ArsOcarina@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 11:25 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: In Praise of the DL4

Yo Rick and Bill!

I never meant to seriously "dis" the DL4. I was
just personally unhappy in my own experience of
the device. You guys (and several others I know)
are making BEATIFIC music with them. My "best
pal in all of the world," trumpeter and label owner,
Jeff Kaiser, uses 2 in-series in his setup. He
seems a completely satisfied customer. Who am
I to argue.

I owned mine for 14 months (so it was 2 months out
of warrantee when I discovered it was dead). It seemed
to (ever-so-slighly) roll-off the high-end when I used it
between instrument and amp . . . and seemed to occasionally
have an annoying high-end "sizzle" when used it line-level
in the amp's FX loop. I was never able to find a perfect,
happy medium. It might have been my particular unit.
I don't know.

Given the other fellow's comments on how his died.
I wonder if I "fried" mine -- overdriving it by using it
in the FX loop of the amp -- perhaps it was my own fault
after all. I only played 2 gigs with it and did everything
else I could to "baby" it in every other way. It still hardly
has a scratch on it (it looks practically new).

Seriously, the DL4 does do things that no other looper
in it's price range can touch. But, my own particular
unit proved problematic for me. When push came
to shove, and after finding that it was likely going
to cost almost as a much as an eBay-priced used one
to repair (before shipping charges) I'm afraid I gave
in to the slightly cheaper (new) DD-20 with it's 5-year
warrantee and ample line-level headroom.

As I've said in my other recent posts, the move to
the DD-20 has proved useful (so far) for me. If one
of those "craps-out" on me we'll have another whole
new discussion on our hands I guess. Heheh. It's early
in the game. It may happen yet. Who knows.

In the meantime, who can question that John Whooley,
the Walker brothers (among may others) are making
some pretty damn serious and amazing noises with
those little green DL4s of theirs. Not me.

:-)

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian