Re: using vg8 with a repeater

 >At 07:04 AM 5/26/2004, you wrote:
 > Does anyone use a vg8 with the Repeater?  I'd be interested in any
 > comments on this > experience: how you've got your rig set up, how
 > you use them together live, etc.  Thanks!

I have a VG-88, and I just run the stereo outputs straight into the
Repeater line inputs. From there, the Repeater's stereo output goes to a
Roland stereo volume pedal (line level "keyboard" type pedal), and then to
a pair of powered Mackie SRM450 PA speakers. That's it.

I need the stereo VOL pedal because the Repeater doesn't have a master
output volume, and it's the last thing in line before the powered
speakers.
I use the pedal to mute the speakers, or make small adjustments in overall
level.

This is dirt-simple and easy to set up, but then my looping is extremely
basic, compared to what a lot of folks on this list are doing.  :)

The one thing I might change, and this is related to "Spaceranger's"
comments about not running directly through the Repeater... would be to
add
a 1u rackmount stereo line mixer to the setup. Maybe something like the
Ashley LX308B. When you run the main signal directly into the Repeater it
adds a 9ms. delay, even on the "live" sound. I've managed to adapt to
that,
but it would be nice to split the Repeater off as a side-chain effect.
Unfortunately the VG-88 doesn't have an FX loop (I REALLY hope the next
version, if there ever is one, includes a configurable external FX loop).

What I would do with a line mixer is split the stereo output from the
VG-88
into four signals, run one stereo pair straight into the mixer, and the
other pair into the Repeater, and then into the mixer. The LX308B has a
headphone output, and also a master volume that would let me get rid of
the
stereo volume pedal. I've just been too lazy to get this system together.

I've also considered a full-blown digital mixer, where I could put the
Repeater on an AUX send and have Midi pedal control over lots of
parameters. But that's probably overkill for what I do.

Mike Barrs
mbarrs@nightviewer.com