Re: Acoustic guitars modeling

I use a VG8, upgraded to EX.  If you want an alternate tuning machine, you
really should try the VG8.  One can't judge its ability to model an
acoustic
just by listening to a sample online; to get the real idea, you'd have to
try out some good patches (look on vg-8.com) for acoustic sounds, or learn
to tweak your own.  I haven't played the Variax much but I'm satisfied from
researching it that the set-up I've got is the best currently available.

By the way, I don't think any mechanical solutions make up for the damage
you do to the guitar's neck by constantly putting it into weird tunings.
And I say this as someone who almost never uses standard.  I play in 61
tunings and the VG8 lets me dial up any tuning I want, now that I've got
them all programmed.  It just takes time and effort to learn to play the
VG8; it's not as easy as turning pegs, until you've got things set up to
your liking--then it's easier.

I will occasionally switch off, just to get the exact feel and tone of an
acoustic, but for the most part, VG8 is best for I what do.  I don't know
what kind of music you make, but if I were you I'd find a way to try out an
old VG8--not the VG88--with some good acoustic patches on it.  You might be
surprised.

Paula