Re: MIDI/ReAlign AlesisSR-16,EDP

From what I understand, the realign function should only be necessary if you are getting out of sync with the clock. That can happen if the clock timing isn't consistant enough. It locks onto the timing when you start your clock but then it can drift apart. It is supposed to realign itself though. If you have feedback set to anything other than 100 or you are in overdub mode for a while, they can drift and you can force a realign. At least that's how I remember it.

Wait until a half a beat before the end of loop 1 to switch to loop 2. You are probably set to be quantized at a duration that is less than the duration of loop 1 so if you switch too early, it will switch at the next cycle. Always trigger the change just a partial beat before the end of the cycle. If you try and do it at the cycle it's easy to get it too late and then the timing will be screwed up. If you do it too early, you may cut off your first loop.

Glad the pedal advice helped. If anyone knows of a better MIDI pedal to use with the Echoplex, I'd like to hear about it too.

    Sincerely,

        Dave

----- Original Message -----
From: DAVE BRAY
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 9:01 PM
Subject: MIDI/ReAlign AlesisSR-16,EDP

Hello, I am working w/ an EDP and an Alesis SR-16 drum machine, I have them hooked via MIDI so the SR-16 is sending the clock to the EDP. I am not using a MIDI footcontroller (as of yet), just a two-button pedal for the SR-16 and the standard EDP controller. I am stumped, 2 things 1. there is the realign function, I would like them aligned all the time, right now when I start the record on loop 2 everything falls apart. 2. When I set the EDP to switch to Loop 2 (switchQuant is set to lop) and am waiting for loop 1 to finish so I can record loop 2 with the drums still playing, the EDP cuts off the last two measures of Loop 1. Anyone with experience hooking an EDP up w/ an SR-16 or similar, I would greatly appreciate any advice. Many thanx to David Grossman for the Beringer Controller recomendation. dave