Re: Buying an Echoplex and Firstborns

Has anyone asked the question, "where are these made?"  They're made in
England, right?  That kind of means a lot when you have to realize how
much they pay their labour compared to how much it would cost Gibson to
have it made in Micronesia.  This translates to spending more money at
the shoppe.

When I think about the relative pricing of other gear it seems to make
no sense at all.  Now it's quite commonplace to find stand alone HD
recording setups with built in preamps and effects, the whole bit, for
US $1000.  To me that *seems* like a much more complex piece of
equipment that would have to include many similar components that a
looper would. (ie: memory, DACs, etc.) Also, it seems like more people
want a multi track hard disk recorder so the demand would be higher,
right?  Well, the market is larger which in this case translates to
higher production and competition.  How do they do it?  VOLUME VOLUME
VOLUME.  The EDP isn't about that.  It's much more of a boutique item,
with very limited appeal.  If this were not so, the market would be
full of similar devices and they'd cost about $200-$400.

The reality of it all is that this is all typing.  Worthless
speculation.   Until enough people start using looping to make music
that there is a demand for these devices we'll be subjected to low
choice and high price.  That is the nature of things.

Mark