Re: the good old Mac/PC question (was: looping observation)

On 2004-08-02, at 03.33, Matthias Grob wrote:

> yeah, a tabletPC would be perfect for stage! but do they have the
> necessary features and price?
> --

Matthias,

If buying a PC for serious audio application, there is only one way to
go: buy an exact set-up that someone else already is using
successfully! (also see Kim's post). Same CPU, same audio card, same
hard drive, same driver versions, running the same software etc, etc...

I'm just back from four days at a Swedish electronic music festival and
during ten to twenty performances a day we saw only Apple Powerbooks
there, except for two or three guys that used Sony Vaio's.

When I was using PC systems for audio I was constantly comparing and
discussing different system set-ups (and there are hundreds of
possibilities) with the Logic beta group. We found that not many PC
combinations gave the best performance (also counting stability and
reliability) and it was a fact that almost non of the "ready made"
systems you buy at a store is good for audio. You really have to get
into it and order a dedicated audio PC system. That was three years ago
and I'm now using Mac's (since they launched the G5 technology and
reduced prices by 20 percent, here in Sweden) so I'm afraid my "PC
knowledge" may now be obsolete ;-)

All the best

Per Boysen
---