yadda, yadda, yadda

your points are all well taken, Richard.   I learn something from you
everytime you post.

a couple of things that I wanted to respond to in them, though.

you said:
"I don't use a PC because I hate Windows as a working environment. I think
it's ugly and cumbersome compared to the Mac OS. Therefore at the root of
my
scorn for PC users is the knee-jerk reaction "how can these people stand to
work in such a horrible environment." This is a completely subjective (read
"irrational") reaction on my part, but since my creative use of computers
is
largely an aesthetic experience it is always close to the surface. "

I really like Win XP, myself and think it is much faster to use than OS X
(although this is a really specious statement because I don't have a ton of
familiarity with OS X yet..............although I"m doing a lot of sound
design on it, currently).

I, frankly, think that it has been Steve Jobs egotism that has made him
eschew right click funcionality on the mouse.   I know that there is some
right click functionality on the mouse in OS X but it is minute compared to
how much you can do in Win XP.

Even from an aesthetic standpoint, I can make my desktop look like I want
it
to look.     I find it much faster to get around (and that may just be
familiarity, but I don't think so).

The other reason why I like working in Win XP is specifically that four of
my  favorite programs are not found on both platforms:   ACID, FLStudio
Granulab and Tu2.

You are the person who specifically advised me to make my personal computer
choices based on the tools that I wanted to work with.   I chose the PC
specifically for that reason.    I don't think it is better than the
Mac...................I just don't think that it is worse.

You also said:
"Here's an odd, but pertinent example of my attitude, as manifested in
another area of creative work:  I have a friend who is a composer and
instrument builder. He is very successful and his music is attractive and
enjoyable. But his music notation is dreadful and his self-made instruments
have an unfinished look. In both cases the tools are serviceable and the
resulting music is just fine. It's just that neither notation nor
instruments are pleasant to look at. Why should I care? No practical
reason,
but I do."

I totally hear you there, but again, my question is,   is he wrong because
you don't like it?

I personally think that the EDP kicks ass on the Boomerang, but does that
make Michael Klobuchar an idiot for using one?

Hell no,  he does really cool stuff because HE LIKES IT and knows it really
, really well.