RE: Using pre-recorded material in p

Of course, it depends on how the pre-recorded material is used. I'm going
assume you mean "playing a cd/tape of pre-recorded background music
unaltered, and singing/playing over it." Generally that's frowned upon.
Why?
I can't answer for everyone, but here's my version:

Some bands make great recordings, but those recordings don't translate
well
into live shows. Some bands to fantastic live shows, which translate to
fairly ho-hum recordings. Both kinds can fall under the realm of "great
bands". The problem is that these days most people expect all bands to be
both, and that bands should play tracks from their cd when they play. When
see someone playing along to a cd backing track, so that they can sound
like
their recorded work, the first thought I get is, "This person is not ready
to do a live show."

That doesn't mean that such people should never perform live. One of the
things that my involvement in the SF improvised music community has taught
me is that you shouldn't feel required to play tracks from your cd.
Improvise! Or compose something that works well as a show that might not
be
on a cd. Think of your show as what you can do with what you can bring.

I get much more excited at a show where someone builds the musical
background onstage before continuing with the song, even if it takes
longer
and sounds completely different from the cd. (Heck, more so if it sounds
completely different.)

I think a large part of it is witnessing the creative process on stage.
That's what I'm there to see. It's a bummer when the everything's finished
in advance. Don't do a show...send me a cd! Post an mp3!

Sometimes pre-recorded material works great onstage, but usually when you
still get to see the creative process happening. For example, when someone
presents a work where they're live mixing several recordings.

I'm sleepy, so I'm sorry if that didn't come out very coherent.

Matt Davignon