Re:Mobius, an EDP emulator

>  I'm writing a
>Loop IV EDP emulator.

Hi Jeff,

A lot of the questions you ask could only be
answered by actually trying out on an EDP
and seeing what happens.

A lot of those obscure behaviors are "emergent"
rather than planned, the result of the way that the features interact.

Beta testing loop4 took up a whole load of my time,
and I don't know the answer to half your questions :-)
Occasionally Matthias would  program stuff, and I would
end up finding out the behavior that resulted from combining
the old stuff with the new. If that behavior was stable, then it
usually got kept. Sometimes a bug would lead to a new feature
as a solution to a bug.

So really the EDP is the result of a non-standard development
process, the whole marvelous Loop Windowing thing was a
bug in Loop3, improved in Loop4.
A lot of Loop4 features just wouldn't happen if the development
had been none in the normal way, which is to first decide
the features, and then to rigidly implement them.

Maybe it's better to decide for yourself what you want to happen
in those situations, especially as you already decided to
leave out a fair chunk of the functionality anyway.
The number of users that will spot the difference is,
AFAIK, vanishingly small anyway.

You certainly seem to have plenty of ideas of your own,
so why worry about "emulating"?

Good luck with your venture, looking forward to seeing
whatever you come up with.

..and see you on the Steinberg vst list in the near future.

andy butler