Re: OT: LRAD new sonic technology

It's actually a very different idea than  the Nazi's weapon.
Hypersonic Sound utilizes ultrasonic sound waves to "encode" an
incoming sound signal so that it can be reproduced directly in front of
the listener.  It relies on the "non-linearity principle" of air to
cause collisions of ultrasonic sound waves to produce sum and
difference frequencies of the colliding waves.  Obviously the sum of
ultrasonic waves will not even be close to audible frequencies, but the
difference waves will be audible and will reproduce the input signal,
and it will be extremely directed due to the precision of ultrasonic
waves.  While this could be used to produce ultra low frequencies such
as 6.5Hz, the technology is designed simply to direct sound so that
only certain people can hear it.  I cannot provide a much more
technical explanation, but if you search for Hypersonic Sound, you will
find ATC's website with lots of technical docs on the process.
Personally, I definitely understand how annoyingly it can be used as an
advertising tool and more, but I think it has very novel uses for the
field of sound art.  Though, this might be just hopefulness coming from
a Music Technology student.

-Nick