From: Mark Smart [mailto:mwsmart@insightbb.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 7:43 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Using Jazz Standards to Get Into a Venue for Looping

Hi Kris.
Remember me? We had conversations many years back about the Roland
GR-300...

I have built my looping setup almost entirely with the intention of
doing jazz standards, maybe you can get some ideas from it:

http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/jazzpedalboard/jazzpedalboard.html

I'm in the middle of totally rebuilding this setup since I just bought
an Echoplex. I've been working up some more tunes using its added
capabilites. The most recent one is Wes Montgomery's "West Coast Blues".
I love the 'Plex!. I can make three loops for this song, one for the
four-measure vamp on the Tadd Dameron-type turnaround, one for the head,
and a third for soloing with the additional chromatic ii-V's like he
plays on the recording. I use a 3/4 brush loop from the Peter Erskine
sample CD for the drums.

Unfortunately, I can't offer much in the way of advice about getting
gigs because that's definitely not my strong point. I've only done a
couple of gigs with the existing setup, but my intention was to go
manily for gigs at restaurants, bookstores, and other places where they
want low-volume music. I dunno if bars that normally have jazz groups
would want some tech-head with a bunch of pedals! But I intend to try
and see how it goes.

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net/