Re: Chords: played vs. built (was: mono ebow (was Eivind Aarset)

I was thinking about this a lot at work today; maybe
one thing that may be happening (in my case anyway)
when we loop polyphonic instruments is that much of
the time, in the interest of timbral variety and
loop-clarity, we might approach the instrument as if
it were indeed monophonic, with the understanding that
the looping device(s) will provide the polyphony. I
know I do that quite a bit with guitar, layering
single notes, particularly as I start to build a loop.
When I loop one-note things like flutes or theremin,
I'll consciously try to keep sparseness in mind,
because I know sooner or later I'll have that
monolithic wall o' sound going, and keeping it spare
on the way in is what makes each of my improvised
pieces (sort of) different from each other.

How many of you who play normally-multi-voiced
instruments would say that this is true for you: when
you're NOT looping, use of struck or closely
arpeggiated chords is more common than when you're
looping, in which case the chords are often built
within the loop rather than played all at once?

-t-