Repeater or EDP

Dear Musicians,

My name is Job, I am a 29-year-old percussionist/vocalist from The
Netherlands and I want to get involved in looping. I have been reading a
lot
of reports and reviews on the websites of loopers delight and harmony
central. My conclusion is that either the Echoplex Digital Pro Plus or the
Elctrix Repeater is the machine I need. The big problem is I absolutely
cannot choose between those two. Both of them have pros and cons and I
wished some company could combine the best features of both to create the
ultimate musician’s looping tool for live and recording. Since that hasn’t
happened yet, I need to choose. I am writing for some help on my choice.

Let me explain how I want to use a looper. My band plays psychedelic world
jammusic. My setup consists of different percussion-instruments, most of
which are individually miked. I also use a headset-mic for vocals. In the
live situation I want to be able to play a certain groove on an instrument
like a handdrum, triangle, set of woodbocks or shaker and then loop it and
overdub another layer etc. I also want to mix in my vocals. I sing
percussion-part, drumbeats and effects with my voice. Second I want to
have
delay options for spacial effects on my voice and certain instruments for
“trippy” effect. The delay times must be easily changeable. With a looper
also want to compose loops at home and store them, so I can recall them
live
with a footboard at any given moment. Third, I want the looper to practice
along side with to work on my timing, so as a advanced kind of metronome.
Fourth, I want to be able to store loops on my computer at home to
manipulate/master and import effects/sound-collages etc from the computer
unto the looper.

What I concluded was that the Repeater has far more storage-space for
loops
and effects (up to 256 MB). Second the unit looks much stronger and it is
stereo. Problems are there’s only one layer of Undo, some problems with
internal metronome and with the sound (especially when you’re using the
pitch shift). There was a very negative review by some guy named Progster
(sept 14, 2001) but some rave ones by others.

The EDP is not stereo and the unit and especially the footboard don’t look
too strong. Second, it doesn’t have that much memory and only
expansionable
up to 198 seconds (16 MB).

So guys, please help me. What machine should I buy? And what is a decent
price to buy one second hand (on ebay or someplace else?).

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Best wishes, Job Verweijen

MSN Zoeken helpt je om de gekste dingen te vinden! http://search.msn.nl