Re: EDP manual

Tutorials are really expensive and time-consuming to produce, and it's
rare to find someone who's both adept at using the EDP (or any musical
instrument) and who's a great instructor.

I've seen lots of requests for EDP help over the years, and they
usually fall into one of two categories:

1) I'm trying to do a specific thing (sync to a drum machine, operate a
stereo pair, etc.)--can someone walk me through it?

2) I just got the EDP, the manual overwhelms me, how do I work this
thing?

Questions that fall into the first category can usually be answered in
a few rounds.  The second category is really too broad.  "The quality
of the question determines the quality of the answer" becomes really
apparent in these second category cases.  If someone were to ask me,
I'd say "Well, what prompted you to buy the box in the first place?"
The EDP is expensive enough that no-one really buys it on a lark, and
so there's some basic concept of "What I want the EDP to do" in the
back of the questioner's mind.  Once you've got that stated, in even
the most general terms ("I want to make ambient soundscapes", or "I
want to lay down chord changes and solo over them", and so on), then
help, suggestions and advice can be shared.

Some people may find out they've bought the wrong piece of gear, or
that they'll need to modify their approach.  Each looping device
encourages some compositional approach, and discourages others, but the
nature of that match may not be apparent beforehand if the user doesn't
have a good understanding of what they're trying to do, how they're
going about it, and what the looping device is capable of.

TravisH