Echoplex is Broke

I just ordered a blemished echoplex from musiciansfriend and it doesn't
seem to be working right out of the box.  It turns on but after the "Loop
4" flashes by on the screen followed by "1.1" it just repeats doing that
and none of the buttons work (pedal or rack buttons).  They don't respond
at all and thus I get no looping.  I know the manual says the readout
after the startup should be a series of constant numbers "1. 25. etc.".  I
only get the repeating "Loop 4" crap and nothing works.

I tried the only reset I know of:  holding parameter down for 7 seconds
while turning the power on.  It didn't do anything.  Is there another
master reset button or is something else wrong.  I may just send it back
but I'd rather not.  Thanks ahead for any help.

Billy