RE: Having Problems with controlling the levels of my loopingstation during performances

At 4:08 PM -0500 11/23/04, Etan Ofrane wrote:
>Will that allow me to send the guitar and vocals as a separate track
>to the sound board or will I still have to control it from stage?

First, it's not a "track,"  it's a "channel."

The best thing you can do at this point is to learn how audio systems
and mixers work. (Maybe someone can recommend a good book for
beginners?)

What you need to do in order for the house sound engineer to control
the individual levels of your mic and guitar is to send him two
signals, one for the mic and one for the guitar. This is probably
best done by using a mixer (as described by Tim Nelson). The mixer
must have stereo (2-channel) outputs and you will need to assign the
mic to one channel (e.g. "left") and the guitar to the other channel
(e.g. "right"). You can do this with the channel pan controls.

Note that you will not be sending a "stereo" mix to the house
console; you will be sending a "2-channel" mix with completely
different material on each channel.

This is not the only way to do this, however. You can also split the
mic signal and the guitar signal before they are mixed together in
your mixer. This would actually allow you to send three separate
signals (mic, guitar, loop) so that the house engineer could balance
all three. You could do the splits with "Y" adaptors or you could use
a mixer with direct outs, and you'd probably need three direct boxes
in order to send a clean, balanced signal up the mic snake.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com