Re: cool guitar synth intros

On Nov 29, 2004, at 9:28 PM, samba - wrote:
> when I heard them [Sonic Youth] they definately had sort of a huge
> ball of energy they were working. like the audio equivailaent of heat
> waves over the road surface.

Nice.

I've only seen them do an acoustic set (?!?) but I still know what you
mean. So I guess it isn't just a high volume effect. I suspect that
playing really really loud makes it easier to forget some of the usual
things we hear (notes and rhythms), and tune into spectral contours and
timbres instead. But once you've done that, you can listen that way at
lower levels too. Sort of like how jumping off a cliff might make you
forget your stiff neck for a moment, but then after that you can feel
pain all over.