Re: re: CONTRAINT OF RANDOMNESS

--- a k butler and the dayglo green man (very
colourfully) wrote:

> At 03:29 03/12/04, you wrote:
> >..and a drummer playing the same thing over and
> over is interesting?"
> >

> >Actually, Andy,  I love the sound of a drummer
> playing something over and
> >over precisely because of these really small
> variations in the timbre and
> >rhythm of the thing being played.

That's similar to something I noticed while listening
to Andre LaFosse's 'Normalized' last night. Throughout
most of it, he was constantly stomping, glitching and
in other ways real-time tweaking his loops, but at one
point there was one rather prominent loop that
iterated about six times unchanged. Because I'd gotten
accustomed to listening to the ways he was doing
variations on the loops as they played, waiting for
this one to change was a "pregnant pause". It held my
interest and created a suspense precisely because I
didn't know when or if it WOULD change.

-t-