Re: Serendipitous Looper Sighting -- Spooky Ghost aka Gerry Leonard

On Jan 25, 2005, at 21:48, ArsOcarina@aol.com wrote:

>  one of the club employees. The performer's name is Gerry Leonard. I
> guess he's
>  done some work with Bowie and a few others of note. I guess he's also
> got a CD
>  out under the moniker of Spooky Ghost.
>
>  His set was pretty good --

Maybe he was playing with Bowie last year? 16 months ago I checked out
the gig here in Stockholm and Bowie did some duo stuff with one of the
bands guitar players, that was very good at looping while adjusting to
tempo changes. Bowie started out to sing by himself and the guitarist
looped some very high melodic notes. Then he filled it up underneath by
normal chord plucking, looping layer after layer. In "breakdowns" when
Bowie held out long notes and let go of  the tempo for some improvised
small talking to the audience, the guitarist seemed to "mute" the
looper while holding out some notes "unlooped" on the guitar. When the
normal tempo vocals started again he kicked in the same loop again.
Very nice performance I must say. You could clearly hear how both
Bowie, the guitar player and the loops were drifting apart in sync. But
they were both skilled enough to let it drift and carefully bring it
all back home over a couple of bars. Maybe that was Gerry leonard?
Anyway, hope get rid of that cold soon.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---