Re: PC Audio Interfaces (was Mobius requirements)

Doug Cox wrote:
> For what it's worth, I have a USB 2.0 audio interface (the Edirol
> UA-1000 rack mount unit), and it has performed VERY well in the
> experiments I've tried with it.  I have used it for audio and (small
> amounts of) MIDI simultaneously, and managed latency in the teens
> (11-15ms if I remember correctly) using Ableton Live.

Sound-On-Sound has a good article on this:

   http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/pcmusician.htm

FireWire and USB 2.0 interfaces have improved a lot.  They mention
the UA-1000 specifically as a good choice.  It is absolutely essential
though that you have a computer with USB 2.0 ports rather than the
older, slower USB 1.1. ports.  If your computer is more than 3 years
old, you need to check.

They make an amusing comment about musicians bemoaning the lack
of FireWire 800 ports.  FireWire 800 is necessary if you intend
to have 56 simultaneous channels of 24-bit 192kHz audio.  Now
that's a looping rig I'd like to see!

But as they point out, if all you need is stereo and space is a concern,
the Echo Indigo is a great choice.

Jeff