Re: Sit or Stand? Guitarist and Bassists only

Aw, yes…the old “sitting vs. standing” conundrum…

I do both, sometimes at the same gig.  As Ted pointed out, it is important
to “play the gig”.  As an Artist In Residence for the California Arts
Council, I frequently get gigs at art galleries and museums; often being
background music for openings and receptions.  I also have a regular
restaurant gig where I perform basically as background music for dining.
In
these cases I am not, nor is the music I am playing, the “focus” of the
events.  In such cases I sit (tho’ at times I do get up offa that seat and
get funky…), and blend into the background.

For solo shows, where the focus is my playing, I usually stand.  The
reason
here is “the show” (and as this thread is melding into one on stage
presence, I will address that as well).  For the most part, audiences are
not so mesmerized by looping gear, technology or techniques.  Our culture
has greatly elevated the performance, or “show” aspects of musical
performance and, like it or not, most audiences expect to be entertained.
>From time to time you can, and will, encounter audiences for who the
>aural
phenomenon of music is priority; or those who are rapt by the skill of a
musician applying his/her craft.  But even so, the entertainment factor
does
weigh in.

For solo performers, and us loopists, this is particularly problematic.
Often, when watching other loopists at work, I am quite aware at how many
of
us are somewhat oblivious to the audience (and I have been particularly
guilty of this in the past).  Granted, whether the audience is aware of it
or not, what we do with loops is not particularly easy (timing is always a
tricky issue).  When playing in an ensemble, guitarists, bassists,
singers,
and even those awardees of great slack, drummers, are afforded the luxury
of
having comrades to “cover” timing issues, lapses of concentration , and
the
(somewhat dreaded ) “entertainment” factor.  Playing solo, and this is
augmented by both the tactile and technological problems of using loops in
solo context, illuminates these problems exponentially.

As to the question of stage presence and of sitting/standing, in all
situations (save for the aforementioned cases where I consciously try to
blend into the background) I strive to be engaged with the audience.
Three
members of our list who excel at this, and have greatly influenced me
here,
are Rick, Bill Walker and Steve Lawson.  All three of these inject a sense
of humor and irony into their performances, engaging the audience, making
light of their errors (sometimes giving focus to their trainwrecks), and
making the sometimes cerebral act of looping more entertaining without
stooping to the cliché rock-guitar type of posturing (although I have seen
all three mockingly do this as well…)…and let’s face it, some of those now
cliché gestures (grimaces, the tossing back of the head and feigned
intensity are really just downright embarrassing).

A performance is a statement.  It has import. As performers it is
necessary
to acknowledge our audiences, to recognize their intelligence and
appreciate
their patronage. Our level of entertaining that audience can greatly vary.
The simple act of standing and moving about after being seated for a time
can generate a visual interest.  Making eye contact with the audience,
laughing, making off-hand quips, or even pausing your playing to listen to
the loop and “actively contemplate”  your next move can all greatly
enhance
an audience’s interaction with your performance.

A few years back I did some duet shows with our prodigal son, Andre
LaFosse.
  At the time he was using an old Roland drum Machine to manually
“randomize” the processing of his EDP loops (knowing Andre, I tend to
think
that most of this was hardly random.).  That alone could have been
sonically
novel and intriguing, yet he took it a step further by placing that
machine
on a stand in the center of the stage, and walking around it dramatically
pondering the sounds of his loopage, before rushing to the machine with
both
hands and chaotically “playing” the buttons of the machine (which in turn
would do amazing things to the sound of his guitar loops…).  It was at the
same time aurally intense, innovative, visually stimulating and
theatrically
entertaining.
Max