Re: ending ambient pieces when playing LIVE shows

At 1:36 PM -0500 2/21/05, David Kirkdorffer wrote:
>I'm curious to hear ideas and techniques people have used (or stopped
>using)
>to end an ambient piece of music at a live show.

I like to process the sounds of the audience. A few years ago i
participated in a performance of Stockhausen's Originale at Theater
Artaud in San Francisco. I had several mics deployed throughout the
playing area, and during the final applause I used these to capture
the applause sounds and to prolong it with a 30" delay on my TC2290
(of course this reinforces the herd instinct and people kept clapping
for a long time). Eventually the audience figured out the gag and
started to leave, but I kept feeding the sounds of their exiting
through the system until they were all gone.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://salamandersongs.com