Re: USB interface help

At 07:29 PM 2/21/2005, Devin Smith wrote:
>Sorry to revisit this subject, as I know it was a bit of a thread not too
>long ago, but I just bought a Tascam US-122 audio/midi interface for use
>with my Dell laptop (circa 3 years ago). I am getting some annoying
>skipping in the data stream when listening to CD's and wav files, and I
>was wondering if anyone had any guess why that might be.

Don't remember if I mentioned this when the thread came up previously, but
head over to the mailing lists at Yahoo Groups
(http://www.yahoogroups.com)
and search through the archives for the Laptop Mozart group.  A year or
two
back, there was a bug discussion that came up specific to Dell laptops and
USB audio.  If I remember correctly, I think the circuit configuration for
Dell's power supplies on their laptops was allowing current to bleed out
through the USB ports.  Usually, this resulted in pops, crackles, and
noise
in the audio stream, but I could see something like this translating into
dropouts if the US-122 has a lot of buffering and/ocircuit protection
built
into it.

For that particular problem, there was never a solution found (swapping
out
wall warts, for instance, didn't work).  Finally, it was just concluded
that Dell laptops from that period were simply unusable for audio.

I'm not saying that this is the problem you've got, but it's worth
researching...

         --m.

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil