Ethel concert in Los Angeles

Title: Ethel concert in Los Angeles
Andre LaFosse and I attended the Ethel concert in Los Angeles this afternoon. It was insanely great!

Ethel is the string quartet to which list-member Todd Reynolds belongs. Most of you are probably aware of Todd's activities as a looper, and if you're lucky you may even have heard him play (he's a monster). Though it would be a stretch to call Ethel a "conventional" string quartet, they have the chops and musical sensitivity to impress classical and contemporary music audiences alike. I was certainly knocked out!

The program we heard today consisted of contemporary works (several by Todd) by a variety of living composers including John King, Evan Ziporyn, Phil Klein, et al. The tour continues tomorrow with a performance in Berkeley and others to follow, and starting April 13 the quartet hits the road with Todd Rundgren and Joe Jackson:

Ethel On Tour February-April 2005
Feb. 26 Los Angeles, CA SCI-Arc
Feb. 27 Berkeley, CA US Berkeley
Mar. 04 Sun Valley, ID Sun Valley Center for Arts
Mar. 05-06 Seattle, WA Behenke Center
Mar. 31 Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom
Apr. 02 Cleveland, OH Masonic Auditorium

Ethel on Tour With Todd Rundgren and Joe Jackson
Spring 2005
April 13 Melbourne, FL King Center for the Arts
April 15 Clearwater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall
April 16 Pompano, FL Pompano Beach Amphitheater
April 18 Jacksonville, FL Florida Theater
April 20 Greensboro, FL War Memorial Auditorium
April 21 Harrisburg, PA Forum Auditorium
April 23 Baltimore, PA Rams Head Live
April 24 Philadelphia, PA Kimmel Center
April 26 Washington, DC Warner Theater
April 27 New York, NY Beacon Theater (attn nyc folks!)
April 29 New Brunswick, NJ State Theater
April 30 Mashantucket, CT Foxwoods
May 01 Poughkeepsie, NY Barvadon Opera House
May 03 Cleveland, OH Playhouse Square
May 04 Ann Arbor, MI Michigan Theater
May 06 Cincinnati, OH Taft Theatre
May 07 St. Louis, MO Orpheum Theater
May 12 Minneapolis, MN Fitzgerald Theater
May 13 Milwaukee, WI Pabst Theater
May 14 Chicago, IL Cadillac Palace Theater
May 17 Los Angeles, CA Wilshire
May 18 San Diego, CA Humphreys
May 20 Santa Rosa, CA Luther Burbank Center
May 21 Redwood City, CA Fox Theatre

http://www.ethelcentral.com/

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202