Re: Noob saxist feedback question

it's an old trick to get rid of ambient noise. when i was
working as a location sound recordist i knew of some
colleagues who would put up a second mic and
capture just the ambience of the room they were working
in. later, by reversing the phase of that second track they
could cancel out the background noise. it's the same idea
as those "vocal eliminators" you could get at radio shack.
since most recordings place the vocals in the center, this
box would reverse the phase and recombine the audio
and this would cause just the centered vocal to drop out -
though there often was reverb and other effects that might
still remain. instant kareoke. this technique works best when
one has two sources with the same audio - otherwise
there'd be nothing to cancel - so i'm not quite sure if it
would be helpful in this situation. i think isolation is the
key here.
cheers
bruce

On Mar 9, 2005, at 10:07 AM, mike feeney wrote:

> What does inverting the phase accomplish?  I guess I
> don't understand what that means exactly.
>

> --- Travis Hartnett <travishartnett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The mic goes into a preamp box, DI, or mixer which
>> has a phase invert
>> switch.  Really.
>>

>> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:26:18 -0500, tohall@rcn.com
>> <tohall@rcn.com> wrote: