From: mwsmart@insightbb.com [mailto:mwsmart@insightbb.com]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:37 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: RE: All-Laptop live?? (was RE: RE: A poll--shoes off?)

> One last thing. Check out this site:
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/index.htm
>
> Click on the various models and look at the specs around clock speed,
>L2 ...  Kris

Hey Kris, maybe you can help me...I'm having a severe GAS attack for one
of
these:

<http://www.openlabs.com/products/product_info-nekoseries.htm>

Please talk me out of it!

The last two weekends I've been playing around with building my entire
looping setup inside Reaktor on my old PC with a 500MHz PIII. It works
great, and I
can do all kinds of stuff I can't do with the pedalboard setup, like
instantaneously change the drum beat and the guitar processing on the
fly
without having to hit a lot of switches really fast. I just set up a
sequencer
that controls three Tapedeck modules, the processing of the guitar's
split
pickup, the drum loops, and audio routing. Then while performing I just
step
on one pedal to advance the sequencer to the next step. It rocks. And
with Reaktor's Beat Loop module, I can set it up so it seamlessly
changes the speed of the drum loops to whatever tempo I need. And I
won't run out of memory if I play Girl From Ipanema and forget to set
the Echoplex from 3 loops to 2 loops. (One chorus of Girl from Ipanema
is slightly longer than 66 seconds!)

Anyway, if I had this neKO beast, I could do it all inside there, then
add my synthesized big band horns AND Hammond organ keyboard sounds to
it using the Native Instruments' B4 program. The thought of it is making
me drool. Please
tell me that this thing is way overpriced and how I could build an
equivalent
setup way cheaper. Stop me before it's too late. Thanks!

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net