Re: mac recording questions

You can use any CD-R on the Mac--that special audio CD-R designation
is just something to keep the consumer standalone CD-R machines from
being able to use the real cheap media.

When you import into iTunes, depending on your settings it may convert
the AIFF file into an mp3/AAC or whatever.  If that's happening, then
yes, there's audio degredation.  If you leave the file as an AIFF then
no, there's no audio degredation.