Re: Laptop / small mixer stands

On Mar 18, 2005, at 15:56, mike feeney wrote:

> Since there are several of us that use laptops in our
> music rigs, do you have stands upon which you secure
> the laptop during a show, or do you just find a
> convenient table to put your gear on?  I also have a
> small non-rack mixer that I like to have at arm's
> reach onstage sometimes, and I'd love to have that on
> a stand of some kind for convenience.
>
> Anyone know of something that works for this type of
> thing?

I usually put it as safe as possible; a big table by my side or I'll
hide it behind something. Because I have a midi foot pedal board I
don't need to see the screen all the time. However, I need to reach a
hand manipulated midi mixer/interface (either a UC-33 or a
MicroKontrol). These I usually put on a chair close to me or, if there
is a table I put it there with the laptop. I try to set the system up
in a way that I have foot buttons or midi mixer buttons for everything
I need to do in software.

Last week I was watching a duo perform and one of the guy had put his
Dell laptop on a floor tom. When they started playing the bass rumble
had the tom resonating and the computer slid off and hit the floor. It
crashed on the first downbeat of a new bar and the music stopped in a
way that could have been arranged that way. But the concert was over.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---
http://www.looproom.com (international)